How to Apply to the Upper School
(Forms III and IV)
UPPER SCHOOL OPEN HOUSE 2016
Please click here to register for Browning's Upper School Open House on Monday, October 17, 2016, at 6:00PM, featuring presentations by members of the Browning community. We welcome applicants to the Upper School (Grade 9 and above) and parents/guardians to attend.
Families interested in applying to Browning for the 2017-18 school year may begin an online application on August 29, 2016.
In accordance with ISAAGNY guidelines, applications will be processed beginning September 6, 2016. Families will also be able to sign up for tour and interview appointments at that time.
Applicants for Forms III and IV (Grades 9 and 10) are welcome to begin an online application on or after August 31, 2015. Please note that we are only able to process applications beginning on September 8, 2015, in accordance with Browning's agreement with ISAAGNY.
Please note that we do not typically admit student for Forms V and VI (Grades 11 and 12). Questions should be directed to Janet Lien, Director of Admission for Middle and Upper School, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 212.838.0205.
1. To submit an online application on or after August 31, 2015, go to Ravenna and create an account. Make sure to create your account using an email address you will have access to throughout the admission season, as this will be your primary email contact with our school.
If at any point you should have a question about Ravenna and your application, please contact them at email@example.com. Ravenna is happy to answer your inquiry by phone. However, they require that all support inquiries are initiated through the email address you used to create your Ravenna account. It is important that they are able to validate your access to any information about your applicant's account to protect your privacy.
Please be mindful of spelling and capitalization, as we will receive the data exactly as it is entered. We recommend that you proofread the form upon completion to ensure that all of the information you provided is correct.
2. Schedule the a tour and interview appointment from your account on Ravenna. The tour and interview with parents/guardians and applicant will last approximately sixty to ninety minutes. Applicant students are also invited to stay on and visit a class after their interview.
Due to a limited number of tour and interview slots, we encourage you to submit your application and schedule your appointments as soon as possible. If your application is received after all appointments have been filled, we will place your name on a wait list and you will be contacted if space becomes available.
3. From your Ravenna account, print the Permission to Release Record and deliver this to the applicant's current school so that they can send an official report to Browning.
4. You will be able to send your teacher recommendation requests electronically to your teachers through Ravenna. Delegate these forms by entering the name and email for your teacher and they will receive an email with a unique and secure link to the recommendation form. You will be able to monitor when your teacher has submitted the form through Ravenna.
Please do not send personal letters of recommendation or “first choice” letters. These letters will not be considered as part of an applicant's file.
5. While this is not required, we would appreciate a family photo that we may attach to your application. Please email or mail a photo to Victoria Piedmont (firstname.lastname@example.org or 52 East 62nd Street, NY, NY 10065). Family photos may also be uploaded from your account with Ravenna.
6. Schedule an test date with The Educational Records Bureau (ERB) for the applicant to take the Independent School Entrance Exam (ISEE). Browning also accepts the Secondary School Admissions Test (SSAT) for applicants to the Upper School.
7. The applicant must also submit a written essay. Essay topics are available at and should be submitted from your account on Ravenna.
Checklist for a Completed Application:
- Preliminary Application
- Family Photo (Optional)
- Official Student Transcript
- Mathematics Teacher Recommendation
- English Teacher Recommendation
- Foreign Language Teacher Recommendation (Spanish or French)
- Latin Teacher Recommendation (If Applicable)
- ISEE or SSAT Scores
- Student Essay
- Family Tour and Interview and Student Visit
- Financial Aid Application (If Applicable)
Required forms are available or may be delegated from your account on Ravenna.