How to Apply to the Middle School
(Grade 5-Form II)
Applicants for Grade 6, Form I (Grade 7), and Form II (Grade 8) are welcome to begin an online application on or after August 28, 2017. Please note that we are only able to process applications beginning on September 5, 2017, in accordance with Browning's agreement with ISAAGNY.
Applicants for Grade 5 should call the Office of Admission at 212.838.0205, or email Victoria Piedmont (email@example.com) to inquire about available spaces prior to beginning an online application. Availability in these grades varies based on current enrollment. In some cases, such applications may only be considered on a rolling basis.
1. Submit an online application on or after August 28, 2017. To begin your application, go to Ravenna and create an account. Make sure to create your account using an email address you will have access to throughout the admission season, as this will be your primary email contact with our school.
If at any point you should have a question about Ravenna and your application, please contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org. Ravenna is happy to answer your inquiry by phone. However, they require that all support inquiries are initiated through the email address you used to create your Ravenna account. It is important that they are able to validate your access to any information about your applicant's account to protect your privacy.
Please be mindful of spelling and capitalization, as we will receive the data exactly as it is entered. We recommend that you proofread the form upon completion to ensure that all of the information you provided is correct.
2. Schedule the a tour and interview appointment from your account on Ravenna. The tour and interview with parents/guardians and applicant will last approximately sixty to ninety minutes. Applicant students are also invited to stay on and visit a class after their interview.
Due to a limited number of tour and interview slots, we encourage you to submit your application and schedule your appointments as soon as possible. If your application is received after all appointments have been filled, we will place your name on a wait list and you will be contacted if space becomes available.
3. From your Ravenna account, print the Permission to Release Record and deliver this to the applicant's current school so that they can send an official report to Browning.
4. You will be able to send your teacher recommendation requests electronically to your teachers through Ravenna. Delegate these forms by entering the name and email for your teacher and they will receive an email with a unique and secure link to the recommendation form. You will be able to monitor when your teacher has submitted the form through Ravenna.
Please do not send personal letters of recommendation or “first choice” letters. These letters will not be considered as part of an applicant's file.
5. While this is not required, we would appreciate a family photo that we may attach to your application. Please email or mail a photo to Victoria Piedmont (email@example.com or 52 East 62nd Street, NY, NY 10065). Family photos may also be uploaded from your account with Ravenna.
6. Browning accepts the Secondary School Admission Test for Middle School applicants. The middle level test should be taken during the academic year that you are applying (September to January). Beginning in September 2017, Browning will also be accepting the Character Skills Snapshot (CSS) from the SSATB. Character and personal growth are an integral part of a Browning education. Grades and test scores just do not tell us the whole story of your child. The Character Skills Snapshot provides more holistic information and illuminates areas where Browning can help your child grow and thrive. Please click here for more information on the CSS.
Additionally, Browning also accepts the Independent School Entrance Exam (ISEE). In accordance with ISAAGNY guidelines, we will only be able to accept ISEE scores taken during the academic year that you will be applying (September to January).
Checklist for a Completed Application:
- Preliminary Application
- Family Photo (Optional)
- Official Student Transcript
- Mathematics Teacher Recommendation
- English Teacher Recommendation
- Foreign Language Teacher Recommendation (required for Forms I and II applicants)
- SSAT or ISEE test scores
- Family Tour and Interview and Student Visit
- Financial Aid Application (If Applicable)
Required forms are available or may be delegated from your account on Ravenna.